Friday 15 March 2013

Experimenting!

 Have been given another odd recipe this time for a strange kind of strange flat bread so gave it a go last night. It follows the same kind of egg whisking that the chocolate cake I made does and creates a strange spongy looking slab of oddness! Don't get me wrong its not unpleasant... just like nothing I have ever tasted! Here it is pre cooked, it was suggested I add flax seeds, I didn't have any so put caraway seeds in, which I adore...


 ... but might have been a mistake considering what I then decided to do with my slab of stuff!!

I wonder if it would have gone crispy if I had spread it our thinner over two trays, but then it might have been to fragile to do anything with rather than crisp and crunchy?!? Next time I think I will split the mix and do one thin one and a smaller thick one
 Last nights dinner was half the slab (I really don't know what else to call it!!) with tomato puree, lean ham, mushrooms, my cheese allowance for the day and a sprinkling of herbs.

I sort of tasted like pizza (see above re caraway seeds!!) but as I used to have thin crust pizza it was a big difference. Had I been more of a deep pan girl it would of course have been less odd! But as I say odd doesn't mean it tasted bad by any means :-)
The other half was saved for lunch today and I decided to try and make some kind of a roulade thingy. I made a ratatouille rolled it up in foil and popped it in the oven, the cheese was added after and just melted on the hot surface.

I had to eat it cold over at my Dads later which was a shame as I think it would have been better hot. Needs work but the idea is there! I wanted to add pesto to it, but I also think doing it with maybe butternut squash and spinach would be good as well. If I made a bigger one I would like to slice it up to serve but not sure it would stay stuck in a roll if I did that and not sure what to 'glue' it with.

I am having far too much fun with this not being scared of food feeling :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment