Thursday 24 January 2013

Breakfast.. most important meal of the day.

I have always had a hatred of breakfast back to when I was told I had to eat breakfast before I went to school, but of course I didn't want to go to junior school because I was being bullied, so eating breakfast became the thing that meant it was time to go get picked on - not a great food association. In later life skipping breakfast became a way to 'save' calories but that never really works as by mid-morning I would be so hungry I would often end up grabbing anything I could which was normally a chocolate bar.

Now logically I can see its better in the long run to eat a healthy breakfast earlier than crap later on, but getting that message through to my brain and stomach is more difficult and another habit I need to break. I have have had breakfast everyday since starting the healthy eating mission, but I am still putting it off as long as I can which isn't practical when I have to get my daughter ready for nursery and me ready for work. We get up between 6.15am and 6.30am but this morning it took me until 8.30am to face food, which would have been too late on a work day. This leads me into a situation where I sabotage myself as skipping breakfast means before lunch I'm reaching for an unhealthy snack.

Here is my filling healthy breakfast at the moment is this 2 Weetabix, 100ml of Almond milk, some natural yogurt and a big handful of berries. Most days I have it I don't feel hungry until midday, unlike a slice of toast that leaves me hungry in an hour.

While trying to retrain myself to eat breakfast by 7.30 at the latest, I think a back up plan of a healthy grab and go cereal bar is a good idea, but of course with me this runs the risk I will rely on those and ignore breakfast completely - I'm sneaky like that and these habits of many years are going to be hard to break, but I had breakfast this morning so that's another little *win*

No comments:

Post a Comment